In the age of social media, just about anyone and anything can become an influencer. Even your dog has what it takes to join the ranks of popular pet influencers and gain their own social following! And if you think your dog has star quality and social media appeal, there is no time like the present to get started.
While building a successful social brand for your pup may take time and work, the rewards can be well worth the effort. So are you hoping your four-legged friend can break into the influencer scene? Then here are some essential social media tips to boost your dog’s profile.
Choosing the right platform
The first step to building your dog’s social media profile is choosing an ideal platform to showcase their personality. Thanks to their largely visual appeal, the top options for pet influencers are:
Instagram – Instagram reigns supreme for pet influencers and is perfectly suited for sharing photos and short video clips. With a cute handle and bio, you can start gaining followers and make connections within the pet influencer community.
YouTube – Start a channel for your dog by uploading funny vlogs, clips of their tricks and skills, product reviews, or other short videos. Build your subscribers by collaborating with other pet YouTubers.
TikTok – TikTok is a short-form social video platform ideal for quick clips of your dog being adorable or showing off. Duet with other pet profiles or create challenges for your dog to take part in. Gain followers by using popular hashtags.
In the end, consider what types of content you want to share and which platforms align best with your dog’s unique personality. You may want to start with one platform before expanding to additional channels. The key is to post authentic, high-quality content on a consistent basis.
Develop your dog’s personality and voice
Now that you’ve chosen a social media platform, it’s time to develop your dog’s unique personality and voice. Start with a memorable name or handle for their profile that captures their spirit or a distinctive attribute.
Next, determine the tone you want to set for your dog’s account. Do you want to show off their sassy attitude? Playful and goofy side? Stylish fashion sense? Choose a tone and voice that is authentic to their natural personality, allowing their charm to shine through to followers.
Also, create a personalized profile bio that gives a quick interesting fact or two about your pup. Once you determine their name, tone, and bio, stick with them! Your dog’s social brand should feel genuine and consistent to followers.
When crafting social media posts, consider what content, captions or hashtags match your dog’s personality and brand voice. For example, an adventurous dog may post photos hiking with their family using hashtags like #adventurepup #naturedog. A stylish city dog may show off their trendy outfits and collars with fashion-inspired hashtags.
Create engaging content
Now comes the fun part – creating content to showcase your dog’s personality! Focus on sharing photos, short video clips, stories, reels, and other content that capture your dog’s charm. Some ideas include:
- Adorable or funny photos of your dog being their silly self. Use props or costumes to match their style and brand voice.
- Take your dog on an adventure, like hiking, to the beach or a new park. Share photos and clips of them exploring using action-inspired hashtags.
- Share training stories or tips. Post photos of new tricks or commands they’ve mastered. Engage with followers by asking for requests on what to teach your dog next.
- Go live on Instagram or TikTok to stream hangouts, playtime, meals, walks or car rides with your dog. Followers will get to see their playful personality in real-time and engage by sending comments and questions.
Keep your content light hearted, authentic and optimized for your chosen platform. Post regularly to keep followers engaged, at least 2-3 times per week. Respond to all comments and continue conversing in your dog’s brand voice.
Choose high-quality images and videos
When building a social media profile for your dog, high-quality visual content is essential. Followers will come for the adorable photos and stay for the playful clips that capture your pup’s personality. Invest in a camera, like a DSLR or mirrorless model, that takes sharp, bright photos to do your dog justice. You’ll get the most engagement by posting:
- Close-ups of your dog’s charming facial expressions. Capture photos of them smiling, head tilting, yawning or catching treats.
- Action shots of your dog playing, running or jumping. Use a fast shutter speed and burst mode to get dynamic shots of them in motion. These types of photos always get attention.
- Photos of your dog striking a silly pose. Place toys, treats or props around them and snap away as they explore and engage with the items.
- Video clips of your dog acting funny or playful. Videos instantly grab attention and capture your dog’s spirit in a way that photos alone can’t.
- Share behind-the-scenes clips of your dog getting primped at the groomer or clips of them playing with grooming tools at home. Followers love seeing what goes into keeping dogs looking their best.
With a quality camera and a little patience, you’ll be capturing photos and video gold in no time. Strive for natural lighting and authentic moments that followers can’t resist sharing and commenting on. Frame out blurriness, shadows and unattractive backdrops for a feed that shines as bright as your dog’s personality.
Build your audience
With a social media profile now set up and plenty of charming content to share, it’s time to start gaining followers and building their audience. Some of the best ways to build followers include:
- Following other pet influencers and engaging with their followers. Like and comment on their posts, as their followers will check out your profile and content as well. They may follow if they like what they see!
- Run contests and giveaways. Offer a prize from your dog’s favorite brand or store and promote the giveaway on your profile and stories. This spreads awareness about your dog’s profile and gains new followers who want to enter the contest.
- Be active in pet communities. Engage with local pet communities by posting in community Facebook groups, NextDoor sites, and lifestyle forums. Share your dog’s profile and some of their content to connect with new potential followers.
While organically gaining followers through community building and high-quality content is ideal, you may want to consider partnering with a digital marketing agency to help boost your initial visibility and traffic.
Some agencies offer social media marketing services for influencers and brands, helping develop strategies to increase followers, engagement, and brand awareness. Exploring professional marketing options in addition to do-it-yourself tactics may help emerging canine influencers get discovered faster.
Additional tips for success
Once you’ve gained momentum and built up a solid base of followers, keep these additional tips in mind to continue your dog’s success as an influencer:
- Be authentic. Don’t just post for the likes or sponsorships. Share meaningful moments from your life with your dog that show your genuine bond. Followers will stay loyal if you stay real.
- Consider working with pet brands. Once you’ve built up an engaged following, pet brands may reach out for collaborations, sponsorships, and product placement deals. Be selective but open to partnering with brands that fit your dog’s image and that you genuinely use and love. Followers will be able to spot the difference!
- Cross-promote on all social platforms. Share the same photos and clips across Instagram, TikTok, YouTube and anywhere else you have a profile for your dog. This exposes your content and profile to new potential followers on each platform.
- Stay on top of trends. See what types of content, posts, and collaborations are popular with other pet influencers. Recreate trends with your unique spin to keep things fresh while also gaining additional visibility and new followers. But avoid anything that seems inauthentic to your dog’s brand.
With dedication, your dog will continue their rise to influencer fame and success. But never forget – keep it real, keep it fun, and keep sharing the joy and light your loyal followers crave. Stay true to your dog’s brand and the opportunities will come.
Your dog’s welfare must be the basis for all that you post and share on their behalf. Ensure that building their social media profile does not replace their basic needs for love, attention, exercise, play and proper healthcare. Be vigilant, follow tips from veterinary experts, limit time spent on branding efforts, and remember that their happiness and safety should always be the priority.
Shine bright on social media
If you have a dog with social media appeal, don’t hesitate to get started building their influencer profile today. With consistency, high-quality content, engagement within the pet community, and by staying authentic to your dog’s unique personality, their followers and fame will grow over time.